What is YPN? Let’s start with a short history lesson:
YPN (Young Professionals Network) was launched by NAR in 2006. The goal was to give younger Realtors® the opportunity to connect with each other and build a stronger link to the industry. As NAR hosted these first YPN events, they saw a strong desire among the attendees for more interaction and information. In 2009, YPN expanded its network to local and state Realtor® associations. In 2010, NAR’s Board of Directors approved the formation of the YPN Advisory Subcommittee. In addition, NAR has authorized YPN Representatives be placed on numerous NAR committees. Over the past few years, YPN networks have sprouted across the Commonwealth.
YPN Mission Statement:
YPN helps young real estate professionals excel in their careers by giving them the tools and encouragement to become involved in four core areas:
- REALTOR® associations. Attend REALTOR® conferences and pursue leadership roles with their local, state, and national associations.
- Real estate industry. Take an active role in policy discussions and advocacy issues; be informed about the latest industry news and trends.
- Peers. Network and learn from one another by attending events, participating in online communication, and seeking out mentoring opportunities.
- Community. Become exceptional members of their community by demonstrating a high level of REALTOR® professionalism and volunteering for causes they feel passionate about.
At present, there are 8 Networks in Virginia. These are all affiliated with local Realtor® associations. In a few weeks, we will be asking VAR’s Board of Directors to support a state YPN. The goal of the VAR YPN is to form a unified community for the existing and future local networks in the Commonwealth.
While some Realtors® may feel that YPN is about a bunch of young people having a party, please allow me to dispel this myth:
- There isn’t an age restriction to join YPN. All Realtors® are welcome. In fact, you can join NAR’s YPN right now by going here.
- YPN Chairs have been invited to Chicago to participate in NAR’s Leadership Summit for the past 3 years.
- YPN launched it’s own annual RPAC week in 2011, encouraging members to take an active role in RPAC.
- Many networks have launched mentor programs. These programs aim to “bridge the gap” between new and seasoned Realtors®.
And yes, YPN members have a lot of fun too! You will find most YPN’ers to be passionate about the real estate industry and that they strive to be students of their trade.
As co-chairs of VAR’s YPN formation, Drew Fristoe and I would greatly appreciate your support of a state-wide YPN. Please take the time to click this link and help us take YPN to the next level in Virginia!